You are here:
Aerial photography, telemetry, night flight, records,unusual models
Narrow it down:
Micro models |
Aerial photography |
Flying Wings |
Full Size |
Large models |
Night flight |
Props:Smoke, bombs, whistles |
weird models |
- BalloonCraft RTF Electric R/C Blimp
- Ebay store with nice lightweight blimps.
- 'Fly Electric' - Float Flying
- A great article on designing, building and flying with floats.
- $1.97 Floats - RC Groups
- Step by step tutorial on building your own floats for a Slow Stik from foam board.
- Skis and Floats
- Float and ski builds and information. Lots of good info here.
- Data - Free plans and great links on the web - RC Groups
- Most of these are not electric, but this is a great list of plans and links to float planes and waterplanes.
- AE-1 Silent
- An early sailplane with an electric motor on a retractable boom
- German site for solar-powered full-size gliders.
- RC Groups Discussion - 24 foot wingspan electric foam model
- Almost a full-scale Cessna, built out of pink foam and a big, big motor. Wow.
- 'Fly Electric' - Large Electrics
- A very long listing of large-scale electric models. Some great stuff here.
- Scratch Built 203" A-380 within one month - RC Groups
- This guy builds the most amazing large planes from styrofoam and vynil signfilm.
- This is one of the largest electric motors available. 12.5 kW
- RC Groups - Micro Thread Index
- A great listing of micro info.
- Plantraco's RTF Butterfly - Fly in your Livingroom!
- A tiny indoor micro airplane.
- Glowire Electroluminescent Wire
- EL wire can be used to create spectacular night-flying schemes.
- RC-CAM Projects: LED Calculator
- A resistor value calculator for connecting your LEDS to a receiver for power.
- Don's light, lamp and strobe site!
- A comprehensive site with details on rigging up lighting systems using LED's and strobes, among others.
- The Ornithopter Zone
- Great info with links, projects, stuff to buy, and more.
- RCU Magazine How-To - RC Smoke Smoke System
- Article on adding a smoke system to an electric plane.
- The RC Smoke has earned a reputation all over the world for safety and reliability. A complete range of non-toxic smoke products are available for your personal sky writing needs in rich white or colored smoke.
- New World Distance Records for Electric Powered Model Aircraft
- Electric sailplane (continuous power): 54.3 km. Electric heli: 4.85 km.
- World Altitude Record for an Electric Propelled, Radio Controlled Aircraft
- 2573 metres above launch point.
- Doc-U-Link links for scale modelers
- Doc-U-Link is designed with the scale modeler in mind. Doc-U-Link provides access to pre-qualified scale modeling resources on the web.
- Scale Aero
- A comprehensive, if confusingly laid out, site on scale modeling.
- adventurelounge.com - Early Aircraft Design
- Drawings taken from early patent applications for aircraft. Some scale ideas and lots of interesting, wacky designs.
- The 2004 edition of Solar Splinter
- Nice plane, but bad luck with the flights...
- Laser powered aircraft
- If you put the solar cells at the bottom, you can power an RC plane via a ground-based laser. Then you can keep it in the air for an unlimited time. Sounds like a great idea.
- Eagle Tree
- Telemetry and datalogging of flight commands and other conditions.
- Electronics - Datalogger
- A nice homebuilt datalogger for inflight logging.
- MicroPilot Small UAV Autopilots
- The MP2028g from MicroPilot is the world’s smallest full featured UAV autopilot. Capabilities include airspeed hold, altitude hold, turn coordination, GPS navigation, plus autonomous operation from launch to recovery.
- Inter-Ex Overview
- Inter-Ex is a contest for unusual, innovative designs. The real aim of Inter-Ex is to promote experimentation in model flying and the development of unusual flying objects by swapping experiences, ideas, suggestions and details of construction methods.
- X-PERIMENTAL WINGS, le site !!
- Experimental aircraft on show. Some really strange designs here.
- Aerocon Systems Descent Rate Calculator
- Given the mass and the area of the parachute, this handy calculator works out a rough descent rate for your parachute.
- THE TED BERETS
- Great site for making your own parachutes. Includes a calculator to create the chute shape.
- German producer of skydivers
- A good-looking radio control skydiver. Unfortunately, the site is in German.
- The Society of Antique Modelers is dedicated to antique and old-timer planes, originally designed for free flight.
- Lange Aviation
- Lange Aviation builds manned electric gliders. Very impressive.
- 1000 Aircraft photos
- Photos of 1000 aircraft. Great for looking for a next scale subject.
- Remote Control Aerial Photography Association
- RCAPA™ provides operational safety guidelines, best business practices, networking information and new technology information.
- AeroFred - Micro Indoor RC Airplane Models and Accessories
- AeroFred produces and sells exclusive and high quality micro indoor, peanut scale RTF and ARF model airplanes.
- Project-Robotic Samara, Autonomous Vehicle Laboratory, Clark School of Engineering, University of Maryland
- The Automous Vehicle Laboratory in the Clark School of Engineering at the University of Maryland, where a mono-wing helicopter is being developed as a UAV.
- Flying Green: The Possibilities And Challenges Of Electric Aircraft
- Several new electric planes are being launched. Two of the most interesting planes to fly recently are the E430 and the SkySpark.
- Aerosound RC Products
- Realistic engine sounds using a player and speaker. Mostly larger scale models, since the system adds about 8 oz to the plane.
- ArduPilot is a full-featured autopilot based on the Arduino open-source hardware platform. It uses infrared (thermopile) sensors or an IMU for stabilization and GPS for navigation.
- WowWee FlyTech Bladestar -- Engadget
- Indoor flying toys aren't hard to come by these days, but WowWee's newest looks interesting.
- DIY Drones
- The largest amateur Unmanned Aerial Vehicle (UAV) community on the web.
- DEMENTOR building a home solar powered UAV
- Interesting project. This is still in the beginning stage, but shows promise.
- Festo AirJelly -- Engadget
- We'd explain this thing, but we're really having trouble taking our eyes off of it long enough to string some full sentences together.
- RC Lite Systems
- RAM provides lighting systems that run off 9v batteries.
- Super Bright LEDs – LED Lights, Bulbs, and Accessories
- LED lights, components and LED products. All products are available for purchase online.
- Flying boat design - Ivan's plans
- Flying off water is fun, but there are a couple of things you need to keep in mind when converting a plane to floats.
- Balsa Wood Airplanes - Toy Airplanes - Paul K Guillow Inc
- Small, mainly free flight models. Some of these would be great micro rc models.
- 6.25g Micro Helicopter - RC Groups
- 6.25g Micro Helicopter: This is about as small as it gets.
- A quadrotor microheli weighing in at 20 grams.
- autopilot: Do it yourself UAV
- Autopilot for model helicopters, with 3 axis IMU/INS GPS
- Fly RC - Make Your Own Park Flyer Floats
- These simple foam floats are very easy to make in an evening and are suitable for many lightweight park flyer type models.
- How to make an actuator
- How to make an actuator ( step by step )
- Glow in the Dark
- Glow Inc. provides glow in the dark paints, great for night flying.
- Whimsical flyers
- Whimsical flyers, mostly foam creations. They fly, but they sure don't look like airplanes!
- Scale decals for downloading
- Cool scale decals for downloading.
- The Flying Giants
- Large scale aerobatics.
- plan 3-vues
- 3-views of loads of planes for scale modelling.
- Plantraco's Micro R/C Online Catalog
- Plantraco sells micro gear and planes
- Thrust Vectoring Made Easy
- Interesting modification to a foamy for motor thrust vectoring
- Flying wing mania. What can I say? Information on flying wings to keep you busy for a long time.
- 14 nights in the air
- QinetiQ announced that it returned Zephyr, its solar powered high-altitude long endurance (HALE) Unmanned Air System (UAS) back to earth after two weeks in the air – smashing a number of long-standing official and unofficial world records.
- Lazertoyz RC Light Systems
- Good lighting systems.
- Birdkit Store
- Online store selling flapping-wing aircraft.
- This project started in 2004 under a contract with European Space Agency to study the feasibility of a Martian Solar Airplane. This system, named Sky-Sailor, is fully autonomous in navigation and power generation.
- Full-size electric assist gliders
- Don's LED Main Page
- Lots of info on LEDs
- Record-setting electric plane tows glider up into the sky in seconds
- Siemens has just announced that an electric aerobatic plane powered by its latest motor has nabbed two world speed records. The Extra 330LE electric test plane also became the first in the world to tow a glider up into the skies.